Thursday, October 1, 2009

A Lonely and Jobless Soulstar

As a resident of Second Life for the last few weeks, I’ve found a few things questionable. Throughout the scavenger hunt, I noticed a serious lack of people. Even at a location like the International Air and Space museum, there was an extreme sense of vacancy. Second Life is too much of a populated world to appear so deserted. My question- where are the people?

The next issue I have with SL is my poor financial status. I have a low supply of linden dollars, virtual money, because I don’t have a job. I don’t work in real life but I would love to know what kind of virtual jobs exist. Surely every avatar in second life isn’t a corporate worker, SL developer, or blogger being paid to be in second life. So what do the “normal” avatars do to up the linden dollar bank accounts? I’ve visited freebie stores which don’t require cashiers but for the other areas of Second Life does the need of “manual” labor even exist? Hopefully my explorations will lead to answers. If Fierce Soulstar makes friends and finds a job I would really feel like I have a “mature” avatar.Perhaps in finding a job she would also find a group of friendly working avatars to hang with!

1 comment:

  1. The two issues you discuss here are a bit disconnected. You might, at crowded areas, find avatars earning Linden Dollars. Keep in mind, too, that educational sites are like our campus during the day. Between classes it's empty. If you go to a classroom, however, you will find people. In SL it is no different. Last night, we filled the Montclair Amphitheater. But all day before that, only 2 or 3 avatars were on "campus."

    You must ask yourself, "Do I really want to greet visitors to a shop for 100 Linden Dollars an hour?"

    You might have 1000L before you know it, but consider the wage-rates. The low wages provide one incentive for residents to put down a credit card and spent 18 US Dollars to have 5000 Linden Dollars.

    ReplyDelete