Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fierce in the Sistine Chapel

The adventures of Fierce Soulstar continued in Second Life when a fellow classmate explained his entrance into the "Uncanny Valley" after a trip to Vassar Island's re-creation of the Sistine Chapel. He really encouraged visiting the Sistine Chapel to see just how "real" virtual reality can become. Once Fierce Soulstar entered the chapel, I understood why my fellow classmate entered the "Uncanny Valley" of SL so quickly. I remember reading about how Michelangelo slaved at perfecting the images that grace the walls of the chapel, painting the ceiling with paint dripping into his eyes, while I was in high school. I never imagined I'd have the chance to visit it, even if it was enabled through a virtual world. The paintings were truly stunning. Soulstar's ability to fly helped enhance the visit, allowing for a view one ordinarily couldn't get unless the real Sistine Chapel provides courtesy manlifts for curious visitors.


The virtual chapel also gave information about each section of images; by clicking on an area of images, an information bubble appeared giving the title of the area or name of a particular saint.
Below, Fierce Soulstar stands in between Anacletus and St. Alexander I.

Sistine chapel window with sai...


The benefits of flying came in handy when I wanted to get the "up close and personal" view of Michelangelo's work.

God Giving Life to Adam2_001

The above image features God Giving Life to Adam. I googled the actual image and compared that to my saved pictures from SL. I was shocked at the vivid resemblance between the two. This experience was yet again proof of the enriched learning opportunity presented through Second Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment