Sunday, November 1, 2009

Heritage Key, Far from a Perfect World..

Fierce has taken form in the developing virtual world of Heritage Key under the name Fierce Heritage. Perhaps Second Life has made me look at virtual worlds through a "diva" point of view. Second Life instilled a certain standard for virtual worlds which I measured Heritage Key upon- no comparison! Heritage Key was not only difficult to load, it was difficult to function in. After countless entry denials on the start up page, I finally gained access into Heritage Key. At first my avatar appeared wearing what i assumed to be traditional "newbie" clothing, green pants and a white shirt. Less than 20 seconds later Fierce began to metamorphose into an avatar with rainbow leprosy!

hott mess heritage_001

Exploration was hindered by lagging and difficulties with the avatar maintaining one appearance. The "skin" was constantly recreating itself with more colors and random patterns on the avatar. The transition into Heritage Key was neither smooth or easy but rather frustrating and painful on the eyes. Even simple commands like walking resulted in the wrong action; my avatar was gliding as if she had on ice skates. At one point the floor acted as quick sand, sucking up and hiding half of Fierce's entire body while Iggy, my teacher's avatar, stood on top of the floor with his whole body visible.

hot ass mess_001
When I picked the "sit" command my avatar ended up like this..

hott mess heritage sitting_001

The initial glitches in HK hindered my ability to explore and embrace it to any measurable degree as SL. How can Fierce exist in a world where basic commands like sitting, walking, or simply maintaining "skin" continuously malfunctions? Experiencing so many malfunctions during the first few minutes reveals the extreme immaturity of HK. The welcome area of Heritage Key essentially made me want to leave the entire world. I'm sure Heritage Key has a lot of valuable educational sources, however I don't know if I have the patience to overcome all the annoying technicality failures blocking my ability to benefit from those sources.

1 comment:

  1. Buy a cord :)

    Elliot was able to explore once he plugged in, though he was still "70s man" in his multicolored clothes.

    Rezzable promises an improved client soon to avoid some of the lag and avatar disasters.

    Try HK again on a plugged in connection. Your avatar may still look "half baked" but you'll be able to see the content.

    The photos SLAY me :)

    ReplyDelete