Wednesday, September 2, 2009

One Draft- Betrayal

The “one draft" method of writing a paper was my best friend when I entered high school. It was a relationship that didn’t require much time but usually had successful results. However, time eventually tested the strength of the friendship when I was assigned my first independent research paper sophomore year. It was a 3 to 5 page paper comparing a work of art and a poem of my choice. I underestimated the time and effort the project would take. The night before it was due, I found myself being stared at by the intimidating face of an empty, glowing Microsoft word document. Who else could I turn to besides my ever reliable "one draft" buddy to help me out? The paper was quickly done and handed in on time the next day.

Keith Hjortshoj warns us that "Occasionally, when we are extremely lucky, we can produce good writing easily and quickly, in a single draft. But more often than not, the best writing results from extensive revision," (63). Apparently I had exhausted all my "one draft" luck in the assignments previous to that particular research paper. Less than 2 weeks later I received both my barely passing letter grade and paper; red marked to the max and hardly recognizable. The back of the last page simply said, “Did you re-read this?”. Needless to say, I was betrayed by my so called friend that day!

In the many papers within the following high school years, I took a much more logical approach by making time for editing, revisions, and completion of the work. But occasionally my friend came in handy. I still don’t have the best time management skills for writing papers - which I know is a serious issue now that I’m in college. I expect that the shocking writing reality check I received sophomore year in high school is more common, more harsh, and more damaging to grades in college. I’m only a few weeks into college and I’ve already been assigned a 20 page paper. I’m sure it is safe to assume that my “one draft” friend will not be crossing paths with my new acquaintance, the 20 page paper.

1 comment:

  1. I think the class will give you practice in shaking off old habits. One-draft wonders happen in college, but very rarely.

    In terms of format here, please put in a blank line between paragraphs. It helps the readers' eyes when the text is very small.

    ReplyDelete