Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fierce Soulstar Goes Hunting Through Second Life



I went on my first real exploration through Second Life while doing a scavenger hunt of locations for my English 103 class. I visited my Professor Iggy’s Office on Richmond Island, Milky 9, Orientation Island, Montclair’ State’s Theorist Project, Sarah Nerd’s Freebie Paradise, Callihan’s Tropical Plants, Harlem, Dublin, Epiphany Island, and The International Air and Space Museum. It was a very unique experience to interact with other avatars and observe how they live their second lives. More importantly, I got a chance to see the educational advantages this virtual world presents.

I went to the International Air and Space Museum as a child but I really can’t recall much of the visit. So I went again in Second Life! I was surprised to see how “hands on” many aspects of it were. With a simple click on most objects, the option to accept or reject a note card or web site of information about the object appeared. I took time to learn about Mission Freedom 7 by accepting a note card full of facts about it.

International Space Museum- Fr...
That's my avatar Fierce Soulstar infront of the Mission 7 aircraft.


International Space Museum- Na...

There was also an option to watch NASA Television live. I don’t know the actual cable channel to watch NASA TV at home, but I know where it is in second life!


I tried talking to people while I was in Milky 9, but I didn’t find anyone too friendly. I started having my doubts about a social life in SL until I went to Orientation Island. I met a SL resident named Violet. She started chatting with me! I complimented her boots which she claimed were coded so the shoe laces changed colors. I’m not that fashionable in SL yet. I was warned that just like in regular life, SL residents don’t appreciate being photographed without permission. I asked Violet if could take a picture for a project, she responded by saying “ Is your project called Sluts of Second Life?” I thought that was hilarious. She was helpful and gave me a “Newbie Note card” which listed tips for adjusting to SL. How kind of her! This encounter was a classic “don’t judge a book by its cover” moment because her extreme outfit would’ve intimidated me in real life. Check it out..
I met a friend at  nmc orienta...


On my visit to Montclair State’s theorist Project I ran into a fellow class mate. Walking around with a buddy made second life a little more enjoyable. I had to stop for a moment when I realized that I felt happier now that I wasn’t “alone” in the world even though the world was virtual. Besides, I don’t want to have more emotion for my avatar’s experiences than she does!
Chillin with Jozi at the Theor...

While at the Theorist Project I found a space ship but I wasn’t authorized to fly it.
Spaceships in Montclair state...

I met Sigmund Freud. I didn’t really need counseling but it was nice to lay on his couch. He was capable of answering questions as if you were truly interacting with him face to face.
My chat with Frued

Fierce Soulstar concluded the hunt by chilling out by an open fire near the Science School on the Air and Space Museum Island.
Bonfire by the Science School_...

1 comment:

  1. "I asked Violet if could take a picture for a project, she responded by saying “ Is your project called Sluts of Second Life?” I thought that was hilarious. She was helpful and gave me a “Newbie Note card” which listed tips for adjusting to SL."

    Violet has a typical SL sense of humor. I was worried, at first glance, that she was one of the virtual world's adult-content followers.

    ReplyDelete